Whirlwind Romance

A rush of emotion dropped a veil over all but the tiny world of the two people in seats 11A and 11B, in a jet plane floating somewhere over the Atlantic, in a still moment in time.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine's Day Blog Hop

Welcome to my blogspot, oh ye Blog Hoppers! I have reminisced a bit about good and bad Valentine Days I’ve had—or rather I haven’t. The reader who makes the best comment will win a copy of any of my four published romantic suspense novels (your choice, pdf version). When you comment,  please leave your email address so I can contact the winner (or email me at meredith@meredithellsworth.com).

Go to http://thebloghopspot.com/event-page/ for the next hop.
 The Best of Times, The Worst of Times: 
 

I sat down to write my blog for the Valentine’s Day Blog Hop of 2012 and ended up two hours later still staring at a blank screen.  I thought it would be easy. My chosen topic: My Best and My Worst Valentine’s Days.  Everybody’s got those stories, right? Valentine’s Day is one of those High Expectation holidays, when the slightest deviation from roses and champagne is met with histrionics (or a simple tear allowed to dribble down one’s soft cheek). Therefore we all must have amazing memories of the best of times and the worst of times. Right?
Not me. For the life of me I couldn’t think of a single memorable Valentine’s Day.  I did, however, come up with other noteworthy holiday events. For instance, Groundhog’s Day, 1970, when I sat on a college dorm room floor with several other be-beaded, long-haired, braless women and let myself be ogled by the local Lothario. To this day we still exchange Groundhog’s Day cards.
It’s hard to forget the Labor Day in 1987 when I went into labor (I did not, of course, appreciate the irony at the time).  It must have been July 4, 1961 or so when my brother, sister and I dressed in white sheets and carried a large plastic replica of a Johnny Walker bottle in my town’s Independence Day parade. We called ourselves The Spirits of ’76 and won First Prize for Originality.
But Valentine’s Day. Hmmm. I suppose my best would be my first weekend trip with my future husband. Though mature adults, we nervously eyed each other for two whole days and I gave him a really stupid card.  We went on to spend 30 wonderful years together, but honestly, I can’t remember another special Valentine’s Day.
As to my worst: with such low expectations (this is the gal who had a blind date to her Senior Prom) it’s hard to choose. Perhaps the year I moved into my current house in 3 feet of snow? Or the year the only chocolates left in the box had that icky maple filling?
So, nothing I couldn’t handle. I guess the bottom line is I have no horrible memories of Valentine’s Day. They’ve all been just…fine. Maybe that’s a good thing.

9 comments:

Savannah Chase said...

Hope you have a naughty Valentine's Day.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

The one Valentine's Day that does stick out in my mind is when a guy I dated for a while, on Valentine's Day surprised me with an expensive pair of diamond earrings. I had no idea he felt so deeply. My card just seemed lame in comparison. I felt terrible that I didn't feel the same so, in a way it was the best and the worst Valentine's Day rolled into one.
I loved your Groundhog's Day story.

M. S. Spencer said...

Ooh,how painful! What did you do? Meredith

Unknown said...

Best V-day... My dad made it so! He's my Valentine :)

shadowestr@aol.com

M. S. Spencer said...

That's so sweet. Daddies are the best.

Kaylyn D. said...

I got a Valentine from my daughter today. She gave a box of chocolates, that she picked out all by herself. She also couldn't wait until Tuesday and gave them to me after supper. She was super cute. Instead of Valentine's she says Happy Valentime's Day Mommy. Thanks for the giveaway and Happy Valentine's Day
kaylyndavis1986@yahoo.com

M. S. Spencer said...

Kaylyn, aren't kids wonderful? I had moved into my own place alone (my husband had died) & figured this would be the worst Val. Day ever--& my son (24) sent tulips, with a little note saying "I thought you'd need these." I dissolved.

Shannon Leigh said...

I'm reading the other comments and can't think of anything else to add. The last one almost made me cry (happy tears). I guess I'd have to say the last 4 Valentine's have been my best, because the man I'm with has made them so special.

author_shannon_leigh at hotmail.com

shadow_kohler said...

Thank you sharing and for the great giveaway! Happy Valentines!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com